1. What is a Disciple of the Holy Name?
A Disciple of the Holy Name is a member of the organization, the Holy Name Society. Disciples of the Holy Name strive to grow closer to our Lord and be as Christ to others. Disciples grow through devotion to the Holy Name; they Pray + Learn + Unite + Serve (P.L.U.S.).
2. Who may become a Disciple of the Holy Name?
Any Catholic who agrees to:
- Participate in Holy Name Society Pray + Learn + Unite + Serve (P.L.U.S.) activities as applicable and of interest to each individual, and
- Seek to grow in the Way of the Holy Name.
3. What is the “Way of the Holy Name?”
The Way of the Holy Name is a set of attitudes, behaviors and practices that Disciples of the Holy Name seek to incorporate into their lives. The “way” embodies a series of movements of the will drawing the Disciple deeper into a relationship with Jesus, and into a greater love of Jesus and the Catholic Church. Those movements, attitudes, behaviors, and practices include the following:
- Honor the name of God, and strive to bring those in their care to do the same.
- Refrain from disrespect to the name of God, of Jesus, and of what is sacred.
- Bow their head when they hear the name of Jesus.
- Proclaim love and obedience to the Pope, the Vicar of Christ on Earth.
- Believe all the sacred truths, which the Holy Catholic Church believes and teaches and to educate themselves and all those in their charge in these truths.
- Strive for perfection by frequent reception of the sacraments, daily prayer, spiritual reading, acts of penance and mortification, and fraternal charity.
- Abstain from all improper language, such as blasphemy, perjury, profanity, cursing, obscene speech and indecency and, as far as prudence permits, induce others to do the same.
- Avoid any conduct that would be scandalous or cause or tempt others to ridicule or despise the Catholic faith.
- Fulfill all the obligations of membership in the Catholic Church, according to their state in life.
4. Does it cost anything to be a Disciple of the Holy Name?
Paying money is not a requirement or a prerequisite of becoming or being a Disciple of the Holy Name. Disciples are not obligated to pay fees initially or on an ongoing basis. There will however be opportunities in the future for Disciples to donate money to further the cause of the Holy Name Society. Participation in voluntary. It is also customary for Holy Name groups operating at parishes (Unite) to raise operating funds through nominal annual dues. Disciples who become active in a specific parish Society may want to consider helping financially by paying dues, but this is never a requirement of participation or membership.
5. Are there degrees or levels of Discipleship?
Yes. The initial level of participation is the Disciple of the Holy Name. Disciples of the Holy Name may at some future point become Professed Disciples of the Holy Name. This is accomplished via an official induction ceremony (see – Official Book of Ceremonies) held at a Holy Name altar at a chartered parish.
6. Are there any significant differences between being a Disciple of the Holy Name versus a Professed Disciple of the Holy Name?
The main differences are that Professed Disciples of the Holy Name, by virtue of the induction ceremony and the corresponding public profession of faith, participate to a fuller extent in the spiritual benefits that flow within and as a result of the Confraternity (the Holy Name Society).
7. If I become a Disciple of the Holy Name, will I have an opportunity to be inducted as a Professed Disciple of the Holy Name.
Yes. The Holy Name Society via our eNewsletters and posts makes Disciples of the Holy Name aware of the benefits of and opportunities to become Professed Disciples of the Holy Name. It is our hope that all Disciples will become Professed Disciples of the Holy Name.
8. I am currently a Holy Name Society member. Do I need to fill out the online form and become a Disciple of the Holy Name?
No. You are already a Disciple of the Holy Name. If you have been inducted via an induction ceremony, you are already a Professed Disciple of the Holy Name. There is no need for you to sign up again.